Folic Acid: Are you getting enough?
What is folic acid?
- Folic acid is a B vitamin found in vitamin supplements. In food, it is called folate.
- Folic acid helps you make healthy new cells. Early in pregnancy, folic acid helps the baby’s spine and brain to develop. It also helps your hair, skin and nails stay healthy.
- Women who do not get enough folic acid have a higher risk of having a baby with birth defects of the spine and brain. Are you getting enough Folic Acid?
What foods are high in folate?
- Folate is in foods such as dark green vegetables, beans, peas, lentils, oranges and fortified grain products.
- Most women do not get enough folate from food.
How much folic acid do I need?
- Take a multivitamin with 0.4 mg of folic acid every day if you are:
- Some women need more folic acid. Talk to your health care provider.
To learn more:
- Talk to your health care provider
- Visit Canada.ca search folic acid
- Visit Healthbeforepregnancy.ca
- Visit Pregnancyinfo.ca